Skip to Main Content

Saturday 7 March 2015

Technology Changing Lives - Living the Moment

Technology truly has the power to change lives. We live in a world of constant awesomeness that it is easy to forget what technology can do and appreciate the moment.

Sometimes, just sometimes like today I have the privilege to experience the difference that it makes. I took my daughter out to the Cinemas and we went to see the film "Paper Planes". Being legally deaf means I always struggle at the Cinemas especially if there is a lot of talking in the film. Despite this I am an avid movie goer. It is not uncommon that I need to have a detailed conversation follow up after the film to try to fully understand why certain things happened to fully get the plot of the story. Often I would follow up with watching on DVD with subtitles and be surprised how little I had understood in the original screening of the show. Today's movie session had the "CC" (Closed Caption) so I thought I would give it a try.

The CaptiView (Closed Caption Viewing System) looks like the following below. For me I had position it that it was relatively minimal in having to read the screen and refocusing the film on the screen behind it. Meaning you could almost visually view the caption screen and the screen both at the same time (i.e. a bit of multitasking required which was minimal if you ask me). After a few minutes it becomes second nature and adapted to the new way of obtaining information.




This no doubt forms the very reason why I set out to become an Engineer and work in the IT Industry. This reenforces my "why" I chose my profession. Yet it is the rare moments like this that gets me inspired and excited when I'm on the receiving side and experience the benefits from the technology. No doubt this was the same reason why I founded and formed Hueyify to make a difference to people's lives when browsing the Internet.

Ironically the storyline of the film "Paper Planes" reenforces the point about living dreams and doing something something that you wouldn't have thought was possible. Perfect storyline to go with "living the moment".

I guess from Hoyts point of view - this may not be well received by those who use it. When I researched I had found an article dating back to 2013 to nearly two years ago and it appears that the CC solution is more of a "nightmare than an access solution". I cannot comment but for me the experience was entirely different. It seems that there is a call for OC (Open Captions) in which is how I watch DVD or TV at home otherwise without it I don't bother watching it at all.

I am excited about the next film I would see and most definitely I would be doing this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment